This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser.
All opinions are mine alone. #SavorTheSeason #JDFamilyTable #CollectiveBias
Guys. Thanksgiving is in three days! ARE YOU READY?!?
Greg and I are embarking on a ten hour drive tomorrow with Junebug in tow to visit Greg's brother and his wife in Arizona. Not just brother and wife, either, but new baby Leo too! We are dying to meet our new little nephew, and I can't wait to smother him with aunty kisses.
Greg's parents are heading down too so it will be six adults + two babies for our Thanksgiving feast. I am claiming stuffing duty this year because I found the yummiest new stuffing recipe and I can't wait to share it with everyone. And, since I'm sharing it with my family I thought why not share it with my blog readers, too? I mean, you all deserve all the yummy food that my family does, right?
The recipe comes from this website. I love it because it is a classic stuffing recipe mixed with the Jimmy Dean® Premium Pork Roll Sausage--- we just took stuffing up a notch! Instead of the classic stuffing we get a stuffing with a little bit more zip and zest; this is the number one new dish you are going to want to include in your Thanksgiving meal this year.
Sausage Cornbread StuffingPrep Time:20 minutes
Cook Time:45 minutes
- 1 pkg. Jimmy Dean® Premium Pork Roll Sausage (Sage or Regular)
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 4 cups coarsely crumbled cornbread, toasted
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- ½ cup chopped pecans (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Cook sausage, celery and onion in large skillet over MEDIUM-HIGH heat 8-10 minutes or until sausage is thoroughly cooked, stirring frequently; drain. Spoon into large bowl.
- Add cornbread, parsley and seasoning; mix lightly. Add broth and egg; mix just until blended. Stir in pecans, if desired.
- Spoon into lightly greased 2-quart casserole or soufflé dish; cover.
- Bake 45 minutes or until thoroughly heated, uncovering after 35 minutes.
For the 4 cups crumbled cornbread needed to prepare this recipe, bake 1 pkg. (8.5 ounces) corn muffin mix according to the package directions for the pan of cornbread. Cool, then coarsely crumble. To toast the crumbled cornbread, preheat oven to 400°F. Spread the cornbread onto bottom of large shallow baking pan. Bake 10 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring after 5 minutes.)
8 servings (1 cup each))
*** A couple of notes***
1. The celery, in my humble opinion, is VERY important to this recipe. I added extra and loved it. It gives the extra crunchiness that counters perfectly with the softness of the cornbread and sausage.
2. If I were you, I would bake the cornbread and the cornbread crumbles the night before. That makes the stuffing A LOT more manageable the day of.
3. I used the Regular Pork Roll Sausage, but Jimmy Dean also has a sage variety- definitely trying that next!
You can find your Jimmy Dean® Premium Pork Roll Sausage at a Meijer near you. I found mine right smack dab in the middle of the sausage and bacon fridge- AS IT SHOULD BE!
For ideas for more holiday and other awesome recipes go here.