1. I did my first "You oughta know" post a couple of months ago, back when the days were still long and my students were still bringing their pencils to class. I liked it. It was fun. And strangely enough, it released a lot of crazy thoughts that are constantly flying around in my head and finally allowed them to rest on paper.
2. Oughta is still not a word. I think that's dumb.
3. Hubs is gone tonight (and will be pretty much every night until New Years. Hello, rehearsals!) so I didn't have to worry about impressing anyone with dinner. I am eating mini carrots, frozen pepperoni and an Eggo waffle. Try not to clap too loud, okay?
4. I am seriously starting to worry about my students. My juniors just finished reading "The Crucible". As part of their test they were to write an essay answering the question, "What commentary is Miller making about the role of women in the 1600s." Easy enough, right?
The following is a thesis statement from one of my students:
"Along with women being stay at home mothers who cook and clean, women also minipulate you, and make shit up."
Word for word. I kid you not. And mom, I'm sorry about the S word. I just couldn't edit it out.
And his conclusion. Oh my goodness, his conclusion.
"So women? they are very good at being a stay at home mom, cooking and cleaning. They are also careless minipulating and lie for their benefit even if hurts others. I think women now and then should be stay at home moms and cook and clean."
Now I've gotten a lot of weird things in essays before. I have laughed and laughed at the things my students say. I have posts and posts and posts dedicated to the hilarity that comes out of their mouths. But this one takes the cake. Well done, my friend.
5. Getting a gym membership was the worst idea I ever had. I feel guilty all the time. Instead of just coming home and relaxing, I have to torture myself because I'm not going to the gym. THEN when I do go to the gym I feel good for about 20 minutes the dread for the next day's workout begins. It's a lose lose situation I tell you. LOSE LOSE!
6. I'm still trying to figure out Hubs. He is so great at taking out the trash. He always does it without me even having to ask, WOWZERS! But he never replaces the liner. Does he not know where the liners are? Does he not know the garbage needs a liner? Does he have a secret fear of the danger of plastic bags!?!? Don't fear you guys, Private Bon is on the case. I'll crack this one.
7. I am convinced that the best thing that ever happened to fast food is sweet potato fries. Thank you, Arctic Circle.
8. Christmas music is awesome. Seriously, we all know it is. It makes me happy and festive and gets me feeling downright cheery. But what is with Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer? Do we really have to listen to that as a legitimate Christmas song? Can't we all just realize that it was some dumb joke by a bored song writer and stop playing it forever? PLEASE?!?
9. A student wrote in his journal today that he was excited to fulfill his lifelong dream of becoming a physical therapist/ professional golfer. Am I the only one who thinks that slash is slightly out of place? Since when did physical therapy get paired up with professional golf? And how in the world could you ever manage them both?!?
10. I realized the only two pictures I have on here so far are of food. And that is depressing.
11. So freaking proud of Hubs and his friends in his comedy club. They had probably the funniest show I have ever seen them put on on Monday night. Highlights included Hubs acting like a woman going into labor. Strangely satisfying. Hubs is all the way on the right. I know what you're thinking. Hubbidy freaking hubba!
12. I ran two red lights today. How many red lights did YOU run?
13. My laptop totally crashed. It got attacked by a virus disguised as an anti virus program. Wow, those viruses are tricky! I asked the tech guy at my school to take a look at it. He didn't act too excited as he told me he charges $50 an hour to fix computers in his spare time. I told him not to worry, we could trade services and I would help him write thesis statements. He didn't seem too stoked about that. RUDE. Listen guy, my skills are just as valuable as yours!
14. Somehow I have rebelled against every anti animal fiber in my being and fallen helplessly in love with my mom's toy poodle, Buddy. I have always prided myself in hating dogs, and yet I let this little dude follow me around everywhere. I even taught him some tricks. Ah, what is the world coming to?!? Everything I once knew is lost.
15. If you are visiting from Jenni's or Taylor's blog, WELCOME! So happy you stopped in. Please leave a comment, get cozy, and stick around. I won't mind a bit. Buddy might. But I won't.