Dress: Target (old, similar here)
Skirt: Forever 21 (I am wearing a black skirt under the striped dress because the skirt wasn't quite long enough for me. I'm quite the trickster, right?)
Shoes: H & M (old, similar here.)
Headwrap: American Eagle
Bracelet: c/o Frontrow Shop
Sunglasses: The dollar store. (Every spring I buy about ten $1 pair of sunglasses from the dollar store and by October I'm lucky if I can find one. I can't trust myself with nice things.)
I've been trying for a long time to figure out how in the world to wear these red tights. I bought them in October and by Saturday I still hadn't worn them once. I love them but they screamed too loud with everything I tried to wear them with and sp with every outfit. Finally I figured out that mixing black with the red was my ticket. A perfect Valentines Day look, if you will.
Also, do you notice how freaking legit these photos look? Aubrey and I both had a bit of free time late Saturday afternoon so we got together to try to figure out our cameras a little bit and snap some pictures. I am trying to look less like a hobo on my blog so there's that.
At the beginning of the year you may remember that I set some resolutions. There was a lot I wanted to get done and thinking about all of it for 2014 completely overwhelmed me, so I decided to tackle one resolution at a time. Twelve resolutions, twelve months. So far this is the best thing I have ever done in terms of getting goals accomplished. All this month I have had one main goal to focus on and it has allowed me to be successful. Here's how I did:
THE GOAL FOR JANUARY: REFOCUS ON BLOGGING
Written on January 2: "I have felt a bit "off" my blogging game the past few months, so I want to refocus and get back on track. My blog has been an extremely satisfying and rewarding experience for me, and I would like for it to continue to be so." (Original writing in bold, end of the month check in written in italics.)
- Respond to 100% of blog comments left in January: I did well on this, but I didn't quite reach the 100%. This announcement made it extremely tough to reply to all comments, but I would say that I responded to 80-90% of comments. I actually loved this, and a few posts in it became habit. I feel like this really helped me to connect with readers and I loved having that sustained interaction with you all.
- Host a link up: My resolution post was a link up, my book club post was a link up, and on February 12 Taylor and I are planning an awesome pre Valentines Day link up, so keep your eyes peeled for that.
- Find an effective way to advertise and increase audience (any suggestions here?) I am still struggling with this, although I do have a couple of ideas swimming around in my head. I am sponsoring a couple of big kahuna blogs in the next couple of months so hopefully that will help drive some traffic over here.
- Start blogger round tables again. Check! Wednesday night we had our first roundtable in six months. Elisabeth gave us the basic scoop on photography and it was so fun to sit with a small group of girls and talk blog. Definitely a success!
- Develop deeper connections within the blogging community: Check! I credit this to being more interactive with the comments- responding to comments helped me notice more who was often leaving comments and allowed me to make many more connections. I also went to a blogger get together and met some new friends and connected with bloggers through the round tables as well.
EXTRA: I held my first "fashion" shoot and learned to use my camera just a little bit better. I applied for a couple of media companies that link blogs with brands and heard back positively. I had the most pageviews I've ever had in a single month and wrote some of my favorite posts I've ever written (this one, this one, this one, and this one.) I felt very grateful for blogging this month and the blessings it has brought into my life. January goal- SUCCESS!
Well, that was fun! I am hoping to continue with most of those habits into the next month. I won't make as big of an effort to respond to the comments on every post, but I will for sure respond to all the comments on at least one or two posts a week.
And now, it's on to February! Bigger and better goals, people! February's goal...
Written on January 2:
"FEBRUARY: WRITE A BOOK
Even just writing that out makes me sick to my stomach. I have always wanted to write a book, but have been plagued by fear. Fear of failure, yes, but also fear of the extreme amount of time and energy and dedication it will take. Who knows if the book will ever get published, but I'm tired of not trying.
-Write five days a week for 1-3 hours."
Tomorrow is day one.
Also, I'm doing a bit of unofficial research for my blog- I'd be very grateful if you would answer the question below... I first posted the question on facebook and everyone answered facebook. Then I posted it on twitter and everyone answered twitter. Hmmm... I figured I better ask it on a "non biased" platform, so here you are.